Friday, July 25, 2008

Thought leadership marketing

I presented on this topic at the Nasscom Emerging Companies Forum on Friday morning and I have also placed the slides here. Email me at vinod.harith@cmoaxis.com if you would like the PDF version. It was a great session with a very interactive audience. A friend from a leading IT company brought up this point of view - he says thought leadership is not a tool intended for lead generation or growing revenues but should be used as a strategic program to shape and manage your company's brand and perception among your target group. I have a slightly different point of view on this. Sure - thought leadership should improve your brand and perception, but if it eventually does not get you a seat at the table for a deal or open business conversations or bring in leads, why bother? I would love to hear your views on this - do post or email me!










1 comment:

DJ said...

Vinod,

Ran into your blog courtesy Google. Your view that a thought leadership program ought to eventually and fundamentally drive in potential customers/ create leads struck a chord. I guess the operative word is ‘eventually’. It does begin with branding and market positioning as the stated goal but as a business objective that would be clearly, limiting. I believe thought leadership engineers a 'means' (brand positioning/ differentiation) to an 'end' (sales leads/ business) and means without ends are well as you suggest (and I agree)...meaningless.

I do however, wish to add to your interesting presentation a critical point (maybe warrants a slide or two on Ver. Nxt of your PPT) which is that thought leadership programs generate not just market pull but 'loftier' and more elevated customer expectations. So the 'ability to engage' and the 'capability to deliver' must be first put in place before rolling out any thought leadership programs. A promise must be delivered upon? I guess it only drives home our point about 'eventual translation to business' further…

Best,
Dhananjay

Mumbai